RFC: klogger: kernel tracing and logging tool

From: Yoav Etsion
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 10:23:40 EST

Hi all,

This may look like a shameless plug, but it is intended as an RFC:
over the past few years I've developed a kernel logging tool called Klogger: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~etsman/klogger

In some senses, it is similar to the LTT - Linux Trace Toolkit (and was actually developed because LTT did not suit my needs).
However, Klogger is much more flexible. The two key points being:
1.
it offers extremely low logging overhead (better than LTT and Dtrace) by auto-generating the logging code from user-specified config files.
2.
it allows new events to be defined, and more importantly shared among subsystems' developers, thus allowing to understand module/subsystem interactions without an all encompassing knowledge.
This feature can allow developers to design the performance logging while designing the subsystem to be logged, allowing other developers/researchers to get some insights without having to fully understand a subsystem's code.

I am very interested in the community's opinion on this matter, so if anyone is interested you can find the design document, a HOWTO and patches against 2.6.14/2.6.9 on my website: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~etsman/klogger
or
http://linux-klogger.sf.net

Currently, we use this tool at the the Hebrew University, but if there is public interest I can work on it further so it adheres to kernel code standards (the tool currently does obscene things like writing to disk from kernel threads :-P --- it was written before relayfs was out there).

Thanks,

Yoav Etsion