Re: [RFC] duplicate #include check for build system

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 19:10:04 EST

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 06:52:46PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:29:12AM -0500, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> > I think the kernel style is to encourage duplicate includes, rather than
> > removing them. Removing duplicate includes won't remove any dependancies
> > (since the includes that they duplicate will remain).

> The style as I have understood it is that each .h file in include/linux/
> are supposed to be self-contained. So it includes what is needs, and the
> 'what it needs' are kept small.
>
> Keeping the 'what it needs' part small is a challenge resulting in
> smaller .h files. But also a good way to keep related things together.

glad that I stimulated a philosophical discussion
about the kernel header files and what they should
include or not ...

but the idea was more to give the developers an
instrument to verify that they are not including
stuff several times, and that's actually in .h
and .c files, because it seems that often the same
header file is included twice in the _same_ file

anyway, was this a positive or negative reply?

TIA,
Herbert