Re: Promise SATA oops

From: Aaron Lehmann
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 23:19:23 EST

This crash kept happening for months, across all versions of the
kernel I tried (up through early 2.6.16 git snapshots). I ended up
buying a different SATA card, and this seems to have fixed the
problem. At around the same frequency as I experienced the nasty
hanging, I'm seeing this error message:

ata1: command 0xea timeout, stat 0x51 host_stat 0x0
ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/04 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0xb/00/00
ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
ata1: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

...but the system continues running fine. This leads me to believe
that there's a bug in the Promise SATA driver that prevents it from
gracefully handling this error condition, whatever it is. The hard
drives are model WDC WD3200JD-60K, and I couldn't find any bad blocks
on them.