Re: RFC: more documentation in source files

From: Martin Waitz
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 02:35:32 EST

hoi :)

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:43:46PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> What's wrong with just extending kerneldoc in the ways that you feel it
> would be more powerful?

nothing wrong with that, only a lot of work ;-)

> What specifically do you feel is lacking in kerneldoc that doxygen
> provides?

* it automatically links all structures / function calls in the text
to their detailed description.
* it can put descriptive, structured text on one page with
code documentation.
* section hierarchy can be defined in the source files by assigning
documentation blocks to "groups".
* It's already there.

Most of these things won't be too hard to implement, but nethertheless
it will take some time. I really don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Well, I'm not really fixed on doxygen, I just wanted to experiment
with other documentation systems to see what they can provide.
If someone can recommend a good one - fine.
If we write it ourself - fine, too.
But I don't want to start extending kernel-doc before taking a look
on alternatives.

--
Martin Waitz