Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: D. Hazelton
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 17:12:00 EST

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 11:42, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "D. Hazelton" <dhazelton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > How about pointing to _useful_ documentation:
> > >
> > > - How to find _any_ device that talks SCSI?
> > >
> > > - How does HAL allow one cdrecord instance to work
> > > without being interrupted by HAL?
> > >
> > > - How to send non disturbing SCSI commands from another
> > > cdrecord process in case one or more are already running?
> > >
> > > Jörg
> >
> > Documentation?
> >
> > Didn't even take me two minutes to find the entire specification for hald
> > on the net.
> >
> > http://cvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/hal/hal/doc/spec/hal-spec.html?only
> >_with_tag=HEAD
>
> ????
> Did yoiu try to read this?

Did you notice my comment? When I sent that message I'd been awake for nearly
24 hours helping a friend through depression and was ready to fall asleep
while checking my email. I have since read it and I understand your problem.
That documentation does state, however, that the HAL system is normally
accessed via the dbus system message bus. In order to help you with that
facet of things here is a link to the dbus documentation:
http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html

And I will look into the HAL source code and provided headers to see if I
cannot find you a direct interface such as dbus has with HAL. But not at the
current moment, as I am limited in my available time.

> I like to see a whitepaper first that allows me to get an overview in less
> than 10 minutes. If this is not available, I suspect you just try another
> attempt to waste my time.

Huh? I understood HAL in less than ten minutes from that specification. But
then, any competant programmer would spend a great deal more time on learning
an interface. I have been studying the ATAPI, SCSI and MMC specs for more
than six months now and, while I have a firm grasp of the concepts, could not
sit down and write a piece of software that spoke those protocols. (This is
mainly because I haven't been focusing on them, but rather referencing in
passing after having read them in their entirety at least once)

DRH