Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: D. Hazelton
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 18:31:01 EST

On Monday 13 February 2006 11:26, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Martin Mares <mj@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > > If there is no interest to fox well known bugs in Linux, I would need
> > > to warn people from using Linux.
> >
> > Except for mentioning some DMA related problems at the beginning of this
> > monstrous thread, you haven't shown anything which even remotely
> > qualifies as a bug.
>
> If you forget these things, then please forget about this thread.
>
> I mentioned:
>
> - ide-scsi does not do DMA correctly

ide-scsi is deprecated and will be removed at a later date. Any program
relying on ide-scsi will have to be rewritten.

> - SCSI commands are bastardized on ATAPI

identify the problem - provide a test case or two and I'll get off my lazy ass
and see if I can't figure out what's causing the problem.

> If you like, I can give you many other Linux related bugs but it does
> not make sense unless the two bugs above are fixed.

Only one bug needs fixed. ide-scsi is not going to be in the kernel much
longer. Although someone might find the time to fix the bugs for those people
dependant on older kernels.

DRH