Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] remove the CONFIG_CC_ALIGN_* options

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 18:15:00 EST

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:40:46PM -0500, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 06:48:02PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > I don't see any use case for the CONFIG_CC_ALIGN_* options:
> > - they are only available if EMBEDDED
> > - people using EMBEDDED will most likely also enable
> > CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
> > - the default for -Os is to disable alignment
>
> CONFIG_EMBEDDED should actually be spell CONFIG_ADVANCED. Not everyone

We need both with CONFIG_EMBEDDED depending on CONFIG_ADVANCED (see my
other email).

> testing different alignments is building an embedded system targetted for
> size. The option is just as useful in doing performance comparisons.
> Besides, is it really a maintenence load?

It is not a maintenence load, but does it make sense to offer this in
any way to _users_?

gcc already sets this options with -Os/-O2.

We do already override the choice of gcc in some cpu specific cases.

If someone is doing performance comparisons and discovers that the
default settings gcc chooses aren't good, the only sane thing is to
discuss whether it makes sense to change this.

> -ben

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.