Re: git for dummies, anyone?

From: Diego Calleja
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 10:33:53 EST

El Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:17:41 -0500,
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Check out:
> http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html

That is a nice guide, but is oriented to developers, I think jes
was asking from a user POV (I've needed to google for such things
several times) ie how to switch to a given tag and return to master,
how to update the repository periodically, etc; no stuff about how to
manage patches. It may be nice to see such thing on your guide, something
like this:

- How to get a copy of linus'tree
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

- Update your copy:
cd linux-2.6; git pull; git pull --tags

- How to go back to a certain snapshot
git reset --hard v2.6.13 (ls .git/refs/tags to see all the tags). Not the
cleanest method, I think. "git-checkout -f master" will return to the "head"
of the repository. You can also pass commit-IDs to git-reset instead of tags?

- bisect search
git reset --hard BrokenVersion
git bisect start
git bisect good v2.6.13-rc2

Compile, test, and do "git bisect good" or "git bisect bad" until you find
the culprit. If it doesn't compile or something you can do a "git bisect good/bad"
"git bisect reset" resets the repository when you are done.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt
explains it with more detail.