Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 16:55:43 EST

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> wrote:

Well, you need to implement 30 (or so) platform-specific ways to get a
list of devices, and portable applications aren't going to do that. To
make it explicit: no way. It is a maintenance nightmare, 30 lowly-tested
pieces of code, too.

It already works in libscg since nearly 10 years.

This sounds like a huge difference, but I don't believe it actually is.
Jörg is trying to fight the system rather than stop complaining to users
about their using /dev/hd*. The scanning code is there and can be made
working with little effort probably.

Talking about /dev/hd* ignore the basic problem. Show me a way how to
send SCSI commands to a ATAPI tape drive on Linux.

Please do not forget that libscg is OS _and_ device independent.
Implementing /dev/hd* support at all is already a concession that did go to far.

You added the feature, and a message that it was accidental and unsupported. In truth is was neither, and your little message pisses off developers and scares casual users.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)