Re: RAID autodetection not working when booting with initramfs

From: Neil Brown
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 18:31:39 EST

On Monday January 30, dzila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am building a diskless system with 2.6.15.1 kernel. Eveyrthing is built
> in the kernel ( no modules). It is booting with the help of pxelinux and
> then proceeds to nfsmount its root filesystem etc.The system has a raid1
> array on two scsi disks.
> Recently I added an initramfs image to the boot procedure (append
> initrd=initramfs.img) for some tests. Since then the raid array is not
> autodetected (with identical kernel). If I remove the initramfs line and
> reboot , the array is autodetected. When I am using initramfs I can
> manually activate it using mdadm.
>
> Is this by design or something is wrong ?

To quote from init/main.c:
/*
* check if there is an early userspace init. If yes, let it do all
* the work
*/

So yes, it is by design. Assembling arrays with mdadm gives you a
lot more control than the kernel-autodetect so as you have an
initramfs, it is a good idea to make use of it.

If you *really* want to use the autodetect functionality, you can look
around for a program called 'raidautorun'. It does triggers the
autodetect function from userspace.

NeilBrown