Re: PROBLEM: kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:486 - kernel 2.6.15-r1

From: Ken MacFerrin
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 17:13:32 EST

Jesper Juhl wrote:
On 1/28/06, Ken MacFerrin <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I started getting hard lockups on my desktop PC with the error "kernel
BUG at mm/rmap.c:487" starting with kernel 2.6.13 and continuing through
2.6.14. After switching to 2.6.15 the lockups have continued with the
message "kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:486".

The frequency and circumstance are completely random which originally
had me suspecting bad memory but after running Memtest86+ for over 12
hours without error I'm at a loss.

I'm running the binary Nvidia driver so I'll understand if I can't get
help here but in searching through the list archives it would seem I'm
not alone and I am willing to try any patches that may help diagnose the
issue. The crash happens at least daily and I've seen no difference in
running kernels with or without PREEMPT enabled.

If you don't actually *need* accelerated 3D (or if you could do
without it for a while), switching to the "nv" driver for a few
days/weeks would be interresting. If the crashes go away that would
point towards the nvidia driver, if they don't go away we'll get a
nice untainted crash report.

Thanks to all for the response. In hopes of helping to isolate this I will move back over to the "nv" driver to see if I can recreate the problem and get a clean bug report before applying Hugh's patch.

This crash currently happens daily for me so I should be able to test this relatively quickly.
-Ken