Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm3

From: Reuben Farrelly
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 14:38:36 EST

On 28/01/2006 6:49 a.m., Pete Zaitcev wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:27:20 -0800, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How about just disabling USB legacy support in the bios completly?
Unless you have a USB keyboard that you need for a bootloader screen or
BIOS configuration, that's the recommended setting (due to all of the
horrible BIOS USB bugs we have seen over the years.)

I disagree with the "unless". Just disable it, period. Most of the time,
disabling "USB Legacy Support" leaves the bootloader fully operational.
I always recommend it as the first course of action in cases like this one.

That seemed to clear the error message, and my 1.1 devices at least, still work fine. Perhaps the error message could be changed to point users in the right direction to fixing this, perhaps something more like "0000:00:1d.7 EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug? Try disabling legacy USB support in BIOS if it is enabled)"

Anyway, thanks for the hint (and sorry for the noise).

reuben