Re: Patch for CVE-2004-1334 ???

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 17:08:30 EST

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 02:26:51PM +0530, Syed Ahemed wrote:
> The simple reason we do not intend to use the latest version is we run
> some third party software which cant be front ported (pardon the slang
> ) to 2.4.29 and above.
> As for the changeset by guninski , i wish to ask about a one point
> source of applying all the patches for 2.4.28 .I mean shouldn't all
> the kernel security patches ( atleast the ones that have become CVE's)
> be a part of kernel.org .Since there isn't any what is the reason ?

It's even more work for the person doing it. Maintaining the hotfixes
from 2.4.29 already takes me some time (not much more for 4 versions
than for one, what takes the most time is merging the patches, compiling
and releasing).

> I dont want to go to Gentoo for one patch , red hat for another
> ....and GOD knows how many sites .
> Torvalds is the GOD of open source , but am i asking for too much :-)

I can propose a deal to you. You send me a pointer to the patches that
need to be applied to 2.4.28 to make it as secure as 2.4.29, and I can
include 2.4.28 in my hotfix tree, so that you'll get regular updates
for free. I already have what is needed starting from 2.4.29, you just
have to point the 2.4.28-specific patches. It would time consuming for
me to review them all, but if someone like you has some interest in it,
it should be a win-win for both of us.

Simply send me the bkbits.net URLs, I should be able to do the rest.

Regards,
Willy