Re: My vote against eepro* removal

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 02:40:32 EST

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 08:19 +0100, kus Kusche Klaus wrote:
> Last time I tested (around 2.6.12), eepro100 worked much better
> in -rt kernels w.r.t. latencies than e100:

no offence but this is EXACTLY the reason why having 2 drivers for the
same hardware is bad. People (in general) will switch to the 2nd driver
if they hit some thing that is suboptimal, rather than reporting or even
fixing it. The result of that is that you end up with 2 drivers, each
serving a portion of the users but both suboptimal in non-overlapping
ways. Having one driver that's good enough for both groups is clearly
superior to that....