Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] remove drivers/net/eepro100.c

From: Vitaly Bordug
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 05:33:15 EST

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:27:16 -0800
John Ronciak <john.ronciak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We don't of any problems reported against e100 that have not been
> talked about in this thread (in old ARCH types). I think the eepro100
> driver should be removed from the config "just in case" but we are in
> full support of the e100 driver and if somebody says that it's not
> working on one of the different ARCHs we are willing to work with them
> to get it fixed. The problem is that we don't have all these
> different ARCH systems around to test against.
>
> Another thing is that removal of the driver (or disabling the config)
> will hopefully force the issue in that people with these ARCHs will
> use the e100 and if they have problems we can get them fixed in the
> e100 driver. At this point nobody seems to be able to define a "real"
> problem other than talking about it.

Ok then, let's go ahead, but
I vote for config exclusion as a first step,
so if anybody will run into problems, will use old mature stuff until e100 get fixed.

Due to rollback the removed driver - back and forth in killing/resurrecting stuff is not a good example to follow within the kernel.

Generally speaking, e100 should replace eepro*, but I can see no reason for rush in doing that one-step.

--
Sincerely,
Vitaly