Re: WCONF, netlink based WE replacement.

From: Stephen Hemminger
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 12:54:35 EST

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:24:02 +0100
Michael Buesch <mbuesch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is an attempt to rewrite the Wireless Extensions
> userspace API, using netlink sockets.
> There should also be a notification API, to inform
> userspace for changes (config changes, state changes, etc).
> It is not implemented, yet.
>
> This is against the devicescape stack.
> This patch is not to be used, but only to be commented on. ;)
> Basically I would like comments on the API definition
> in wconf.h

1. You will need more documentation, eventually in Documentation directory.

2. Is there 1:1 relationship between ieee80211_device and net_device or
N net_devices per ieee80211_device?

3. Don't put a version number on the protocol messages. The way to
us netlink is to us Type Length Variable structures. And write the
code to ignore unknown types. Once you decide on a particular Type
then it has to be frozen for ABI compatibility. The version numbering
in the WE API is part of the problem

4. What about non-ieee80211 devices? With the growth of (mostly proprietary)
cell phone carrier wireless, you don't want to shut out that.