ATAPI DVD Drive looses dma settings on reset, keepsettings=1

From: Rashkae
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 17:40:26 EST

Tested with Linux 2.6.15 and 2.6.13.3

I have an ATAPI DVD drive as a master(single) device on my
secondary IDE (hdc).

The normal hdparm settings are:
IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 1 (on)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)

However, if I force a reset with hdparm -w (or the Kernel does
when I insert a disc that the drive takes too long to identify),
DMA gets turned off. Dmesg reports:

hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

In the case where inserting a disc causes the reset, dmesg
reports:

hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

Is there a way I can increate the irq timeout?

It was my understanding that with keepsettings on, the driver
would retain the dma setting on reset. If there is a way correct
this, or I have mis-understood the purpose of keepsettings,
please CC me the response.

Thanks.