Re: 2.6.15-mm3

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 17:24:58 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Ignoring the objections of a long-standing and respected kernel developer
> is not a thing I like to do, but fortunately it's very rare.

I really hoped where would be a question before if there were outstanding
issues.

> Can you summarise, yet again, in as few words as possible, what you find
> wrong with it? I'd really like to understand, but there were waay too many
> lengthy emails..

The whole resolution issue is still outstanding. It basically assumes
already high resolution timer and makes it hard to allow simple low
resolution timer.

The rounding is broken for relative timer started on low resolution
clocks. The run_hrtimer_queue() calls get_time() every interrupt, wasting
time if that call should be slow (and could be avoided completely for low
resolution timers).
I haven't even gotten to a number of small issues, because it's impossible
to discuss even the general issues with Thomas. :-(

bye, Roman