Re: Is user-space AIO dead?

From: Benjamin LaHaise
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 13:43:57 EST

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:12:52AM -0800, Kenny Simpson wrote:
> If I want a transactional engine (like a database) that needs to persist to stable storage, is it
> still best to use a helper thread to do write/fsync or O_SYNC|O_DIRECT?

It all depends on which database engine you're using. Getting Oracle
tuned to the Linux AIO implementation took a few revisions, but what's
out in the fields these days makes good use of aio to gain 10-15% on
the usual large industry standard database benchmark.

-ben
--
"You know, I've seen some crystals do some pretty trippy shit, man."
Don't Email: <dont@xxxxxxxxx>.