I would implement 'ksh' like this if there weren't any ksh before

From: Junichi Uekawa
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 23:54:21 EST

Hi,

Over the winter holidays I've implemented a 'ksh' that should have
been implemeted this way if we didn't have anything named under the
name of ksh and implemented today.

An example session will look like this:

$ gcc realksh.c -I /usr/include/readline -Wall -O2 -o realksh
# ./realksh
REAL ksh: printk("Hello world\n");
Building modules, stage 2.
KMSG: <4>Hello world
REAL ksh: printk("Hello world %li\n", jiffies);
Building modules, stage 2.
KMSG: <4>Hello world 4302979318

For each line entered, it will generate a C source-code, and create a
module, and run insmod/rmmod. For convenience, /proc/kmsg is monitored
for your printk pleasure.

If noone realized this, this is on the 'this is a joke' category, but
available as part of binfmtc[1] package, which provides mostly useless
plethora of binfmt-misc related tools.

[1] http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/binfmtc.html.en

regards,
junichi

/*BINFMTC: -lreadline -I/usr/include/readline
exit 1

* binfmt_misc Kernel Module C Interpreter
* Copyright (C) 2005,2006 Junichi Uekawa
*
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
*
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
*
* along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
* Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
*
* Real K shell implemented in binfmtc.
*
*
* M-x compile:
* gcc -S -c realksh.c -I /usr/include/readline -Wall -O2
*/
#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/utsname.h>
#include <readline.h>
#include <history.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <signal.h>

#define PRGNAME "realksh"

typedef struct defs_list
{
struct defs_list* next;
char* s;
} * defsp;

/*
Add a new string to list of "#" lines.
#include, #define etc.
*/
defsp add_string(defsp orig, const char* newstr)
{
defsp t = malloc(sizeof(struct defs_list));
t->next=orig;
t->s=strdup(newstr);
return t;
}

/*
fork a process that dumps dmesg (proc/kmsg) to stdout.

return the process's pid
*/
pid_t kmsgloop(void)
{
/* do a loop looking at kmsg
This only works if you're running as root.
*/
int f;
int cnt;
pid_t p;
char log_buffer[1024];

switch (p=fork())
{
case 0:
if (-1==(f=open("/proc/kmsg", O_RDONLY)))
{
perror("open: /proc/kmsg cannot be opened, you won't see dmesg");
exit (1);
}

while (( cnt = read (f, log_buffer, sizeof(log_buffer) - 1 )) >= 0 )
{
write(1, "KMSG: ", 6);
write(1, log_buffer, cnt);
write(1, "\n:", 1);
}
perror(PRGNAME": read: /proc/kmsg handling failed");
exit (1);
case -1:
perror(PRGNAME": fork");
exit (1);

default:
/* Parent process, won't do much here. */
break;
}
return p;
}

/*
get the path to kernel build directory from /lib/modules/KVER/build/

return NULL on failure.
*/
char* get_kerneldirname(void)
{
struct utsname u;
char* kerneldirname;

if (-1==uname (&u))
{
perror(PRGNAME": uname");
return NULL;
}
if (asprintf (&kerneldirname, "/lib/modules/%s/build",
u.release)<0)
{
fprintf(stderr, PRGNAME ": asprintf failed\n");
return NULL;
}
return kerneldirname;
}

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
int ret;
char * str = NULL;
char * tempdirname = NULL;
char * tempfilename = NULL;
char * commandline = NULL;
char * kerneldirname = NULL;
char * kbuildfilename = NULL;

/* the descriptions can be anything, since we aren't really using it for anything important */
const char* module_author = "joe random realksh user";
const char* module_description = "auto-generated code fromm realksh.c" ;
const char* module_license = "GPL" ;

/* the name should not
duplicate what's already existing within kernel. */
const char* modulename = "realkshmod2";

FILE * f;
defsp t, defs=NULL;
pid_t p;

/*
initialize the header file list. This is the minimal list that
would enable basic module functionality.

This list also happens to allow most kernel operations, like
printk, and mfspr (ppc) etc.

Add lines here to improve default for your liking.
*/
defs=add_string(defs, "#include <linux/init.h>");
defs=add_string(defs, "#include <linux/module.h>");

/*
fork a process to output dmesg.
*/
p=kmsgloop();

/* obtain the kernel build directory */
if (!(kerneldirname=get_kerneldirname()))
return 1;

/* prepare the temporary module build directory */
if (asprintf(&tempdirname, "%s/realkshXXXXXX",
getenv("BINFMTCTMPDIR")?:
getenv("TMPDIR")?:
getenv("TEMPDIR")?:
"/tmp"
)<0)
{
fprintf(stderr, PRGNAME ": asprintf failed\n");
return 1;
}
if (!mkdtemp(tempdirname))
{
perror (PRGNAME": mkdtemp");
return 1;
}

asprintf(&kbuildfilename, "%s/Kbuild",
tempdirname);
asprintf(&tempfilename, "%s/%s-main.c",
tempdirname,
modulename);
f=fopen (kbuildfilename, "w");
fprintf(f, "obj-m:=%s.o\n"
"%s-y:=%s-main.o\n",
modulename,
modulename, modulename);
fclose(f);

/*
check that I have root permissions.
insmod/rmmod, and /proc/kmsg requires root.

You shoulnd't be running this code on a production system, or
you're pretty much already screwed anyway
*/
if (getuid()!=0)
{
fprintf(stderr, PRGNAME ": Warning: root privilege is probably required for most operation\n");
}

/*
The main interactive command loop.
*/
while (NULL!=(str = readline("REAL ksh: ")))
{
if (*str=='\0') /* ignore blanks lines, they clutter history. */
continue;
add_history(str);

/*
## = dump list
# ... = add this line. e.g. #include <.....h>
*/
if (*str=='#')
{
/* ## debug symbol to dump header file list. */
if (*(str+1)=='#')
{
printf("List of items in the # list:\n");
for (t=defs; t; t=t->next)
{
printf("%s\n", t->s);
}
continue;
}
defs=add_string(defs, str);
continue;
}

/*
creation of module source-code to be processed
*/
f=fopen(tempfilename, "w");
for (t=defs; t; t=t->next)
{
fprintf(f, "%s\n", t->s);
}
fprintf(f,
"MODULE_AUTHOR(\"%s\");\n"
"MODULE_DESCRIPTION(\"%s\");\n"
"MODULE_LICENSE(\"%s\");\n"
"static int __init %s_init(void)\n"
"{\n"
"%s;\n"
"return 0; \n"
"}\n"
"static void __exit %s_cleanup(void)\n"
"{\n"
"}\n"
"module_init(%s_init);\n"
"module_exit(%s_cleanup);\n"
,
module_author,
module_description,
module_license,
modulename,
str,
modulename,
modulename,
modulename);
fclose (f);

/* build and execute */
asprintf(&commandline,
"cd %s && make -s -C \"%s\" M=\"%s\" && insmod %s.ko",
tempdirname, kerneldirname,
tempdirname, modulename);
if ((ret=system (commandline)))
{
fprintf(stderr,
PRGNAME
": non-zero return code from make/exec command: %i: %s\n",
ret, commandline);
}
free(commandline);

/* clean-up module regardless of failure or success */
asprintf(&commandline,
"rmmod %s.ko",
modulename
);
if ((ret=system (commandline)))
{
fprintf(stderr, PRGNAME ": non-zero return code from rmmod: %i\n", ret);
}
free(commandline);
free(str);
}

/* After ctrl-D, you will come here, do a clean-up
*/
printf ("\n");

asprintf(&commandline,
"make -s -C \"%s\" M=\"%s\" clean ",
kerneldirname, tempdirname);
if (system(commandline))
{
fprintf(stderr, PRGNAME ": Warning: Failed execution: %s\n",
commandline);
}

if ((-1==unlink (kbuildfilename)))
perror (PRGNAME": unlink of temporary Kbuild file failed");
unlink (tempfilename); /* this may or may not exist */
if (-1==rmdir (tempdirname))
perror (PRGNAME": rmdir of temporary dir failed");

/* clean up the process */
kill(p, SIGTERM);
if (-1==waitpid(p, NULL, 0))
perror(PRGNAME": waitpid");