PROBLEM: arcmsr build-in driver shutdown issue

From: Igmar Palsenberg
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 09:58:42 EST

Hi,

I've got a machine with an ARC-1110 SATA RAID controller in it, and I'm
experiencing problems when the driver is built in the kernel.

The problem appears on all versions I've tried, including the latest -mm,
and a hacked-up version from Areca's website.

Description

: issuing a shutdown / halt on the system spits out FS erros after
'Halting System' and before 'System halted', due to the fact it is
performing IO to a device that is considered dead :

0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #65203
offset 0

device always seems to be sda1, which is mounted on / on this machine.
Since the action is a read-only one on a read-only FS, I haven't seen any FS
corruption so far.

kernel :

2.6.15-mm1
2.6.15 + hacked up ARC-1xxx driver from the website.

Relevant .config stuff :

CONFIG_SCSI_ARCMSR=y

CPU : dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz
Mem : 4GB (This isn't a PAE kernel yet)

I can post the fill .config and a dmesg log of desired, just let me know.

regards,

Igmar