Re: State of the Union: Wireless

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 07:25:44 EST

> From someone who has no idea at all (yet) about 802.11: why character
> device, and not sysfs or configfs files? Like

As Michael already said -- there's no real reason for that. We were just
brainstorming. The /dev idea seemed like a good plan at first, but then
it isn't fixed. What you suggested below does look useful too.

Coming back to the point Michael already raised: the overarching idea is
to get rid of the net_dev for the 'master' device, even if the
underlying hardware supports only a single virtual device (which might
then be created by the driver automatically)

I'll move the wiki pages a bit to accomodate different models, please
check in a few minutes.

johannes