Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: Gabor Gombas
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 05:33:38 EST

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:36:47AM +0200, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

> There are two very opposite approaches to do a sound subsystem. The ALSA
> way is to expose every single detail of the hardware to the applications
> and to allow (or force) application developers to deal with them. The OSS
> approach is to provide maximum device abstraction in the API level (by
> isolating the apps from the hardware as much as practically possible).

Well, then it is quite clear to me: you can build an OSS-like interface
on top of ALSA, but you cannot build an ALSA-like interface on top of
OSS. This implies that an ALSA-like interface should be in the kernel,
and an OSS-like interface should be implemented on top of it in
userspace for those who do not need all the features. This way both
camps are satisfied.

Gabor