Re: No Coax digital out with SB Live! and 2.6.15

From: Tino Keitel
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 04:48:31 EST

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:09:21 +0100, Tino Keitel wrote:

[...]

> I booted with the 2.6.15 driver and got a silent digital out, like
> reported. The headphone which is plugged into the analog output gives
> sound.
>
> If I load the 1.0.10 driver, sound works in xmms. If I unload it and
> reload the original 2.6.15 driver, sound still works. If I reboot with
> the original 2.6.15 driver, the digital out is silent again, while the
> analog output works.
>
> However, if I now chose a specific output device in xmms, hw:0,2,
> instead of the default device, digital out gives sound. With the 1.0.10
> driver, this hw:0,2 device stays completely silent (digital and
> analog). With this version, the hw:0,0 device (which seems to be the
> default) gives analog and digital sound.

The solution looks more simple: just removing and reloading the
original snd-emu10k1 module reorders the devices so that the default
device gives sound on the digital output. The driver is blacklisted in
udev and loaded at boot time in /etc/modules, so the module-init-tools
initscript will load them. However, I have no idea why it behaves
different if loaded at boot time than when reloaded later.

Regards,
Tino