Re: 80 column line limit?

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 17:26:19 EST

On 1/5/06, } <grundig@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> El Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:27:23 +0100,
> Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>
> > I very often work in console (or xterm) and editing kernel code. Files
> > with lines >80 col. are quite annoying to have to scroll left/right in
>
> I wonder why (we) people keeps working (and writing emails) with a 80
> cols limit - monitors are BIG these days and even the crappiest
> graphic card can do better than 80x25 even without using fbcon. Is not

I'm well aware that my hardware can easily do more than 80 columns,
but that's simply not as pleasant to read. Even in X I usually keep my
xterms to 80 columns and with a resonably large font so I don't have
to strain my eyes too much when reading.

> that breaking the 80-cols rules is annoying, working with such setups
> are painful even to run basic shell scripts. These days hardware can do
> better things than 80-col consoles even for console users.

It's not about hardware capabilities, it's about readability.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>