Re: [patch 00/2] improve .text size on gcc 4.0 and newer compilers

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 16:40:10 EST

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:40:08AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > That way the "profile data" actually follows the source code, and is thus
> > actually relevant to an open-source project. Because we do _not_ start
> > having specially optimized binaries. That's against the whole point of
> > being open source and trying to get users to get more deeply involved with
> > the project.
>
> Btw, having annotations obviously works, although it equally obviously
> will limit the scope of this kind of profile data. You won't get the same
> kind of granularity, and you'd only do the annotations for cases that end
> up being very clear-cut. But having an automated feedback cycle for adding
> (and removing!) annotations should make it pretty maintainable in the long
> run, although the initial annotations migh only end up being for really
> core code.
>
> There's a few papers around that claim that programmers are often very
> wrong when they estimate probabilities for different code-paths, and that
> you absolutely need automation to get it right. I believe them. But the
> fact that you need automation doesn't automatically mean that you should
> feed the compiler a profile-data-blob.

I think it's a mistake to interleave this data into the C source. It's
expensive and tedious to change relative to its volatility. What I was
proposing was something like, say, arch/i386/popularity.lst, which
would simply contain a list of the most popular n% of functions sorted
by popularity. As text, of course.