Re: [patch 00/2] improve .text size on gcc 4.0 and newer compilers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 11:58:28 EST

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> > I wonder if gcc can be convinced to put all unlikely() code sections
> > into a .text.rare as well, that'd be really cool.
>
> gcc 4.1 calls them .text.unlikely and you need to use
> -freorder-blocks-and-partition
> switch. But I haven't been able to reproduce it on a short testcase I
> cooked up, so maybe it is broken ATM (it put the whole function into
> .text rather than the expected part into .text.unlikely and left
> empty .text.unlikely).

If it causes the conditional jump to become a long one instead of a byte
offset one, it's actually a pessimisation for no gain (yes, it might give
better cache density _if_ the function that is linked after the current
one is cache-dense with the function in question and _if_ the unlikely
sequence is really really unlikely, but that's two fairly big ifs).

So I'm not at all convinced of the feature (or maybe gcc actually does the
right thing, and the reason you can't reproduce it is because gcc is being
understandably reluctant to use the other section).

Basically, there's "biased one way", "unlikely", and there's "practically
never happens". And even the "practically never" case will probably be
better off with the unlikely case close-by, if it means that the likely
case can use a short branch.

Linus