Re: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity

From: Heikki Orsila
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 10:26:12 EST

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 03:24:18PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Heikki Orsila wrote:
> > err = alsa_simple_pcm_open(nchannels, sampleformat, samplingrate, frames_in_period /* 0 for automated default */ );
>
> Well, it's better to create only "fast parameter setup" and "default error
> recovery" functions.

And what would it look like? I would prefer all functions being
alsa_simple_* because a user could read interface documentation
alphabetically and see all the relevant functions as they are adjacent.

I would correct my earlier 'frames_in_period' to 'latency_in_frames' because
most users are not interested in period size. Latency on the other hand
matters. 10ms latency would just be samplingrate / 100 and the ALSA lib
would choose good approximate period/buffer sizes internally. Those who
need something better should just use the old way.

--
Heikki Orsila Barbie's law:
heikki.orsila@xxxxxx "Math is hard, let's go shopping!"