Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 02:15:26 EST

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 11:37 +0100, tapas wrote:
> ALSA's kernel level OSS emulation (as opposed to aoss) cannot provide
> software mixing. As aoss cannot provide OSS emulation to all OSS apps

Why not?

> ,
> the kernel level OSS emu must be fixed.

Wrong, if an app doesn't work with aoss it's a bug and we need to hear
about it. I mentioned this previously in the thread and apparently no
one cares about it enough to file a useful bug report (we got one report
that the *kernel level* emulation didn't work which is a different
issue).

By far the most common bug report is "Skype does not work with aoss".
We would LOVE to see a reproducible test case using an *open source* app
(kiax might be a good place to start).

Lee