Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 18:10:10 EST

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:13:14PM +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> > > Software mixing is a really nice feature for people with soundscards
> > > that can't do hardware mixing, so if the OSS compatibility could
> > > transparently do software mixing for apps using OSS api that would be
> > > a very nice extension for a lot of people - I'd say that if NetBSD do
> > > that they've got the right idea.
> >
> > The OSS compatibility in ALSA is only a legacy API for applications not
> > yet converted to use the ALSA API.
>
> OSS is universal cross-unix API. ALSA is Linux-only.

How "universal cross-unix" is the OSS API really?

Which operating systems besides Linux have a native sound system
supporting the OSS API [1]?

I know about FreeBSD and partial support in NetBSD.

Are there any other [2]?

cu
Adrian

[1] I'm not talking about a port of the commercial OSS to the operating
system which has little value for application developers.
[2] This is not a rhetorical question, I simply don't know about any
other.

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed