Re: Possible GPL violation in Canyon CN-WF514 WLAN router

From: xerces8
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 14:31:08 EST

Hi!

(lkml readers please consider replying to me or tech and not to lkml)

I posted [1] on the GPL-violations mailing list, but got no response, so I'll
try here.

What :

It seems Canyon [2] distributes [3] a firmware update file [4]
for their CN-WF514 WLAN router that contains the linux kernel
image. nmap scan guesses the router is running "Linux 2.4.X|2.5.X"
There is no mention of used GPL software and no source code.
A direct enquiry to Canyon was responded with :

This product is not using GNU GPL license.

(yes, that's all of it)

What I need :

Help disecting the FW package [4]. It is a ZIP archive containing
a text file and a *.bin file. This *.bin file appears to be some kind
of another archive, containing two files : webpages-6104ipc.bin
and vmlinux.bin
The *.bin archive file begins with the string "WBIP". I guess it uses
compression, since "strings" does not give out anything useful, except
the mentioned two filenames.
There[3] is another firmware update [5] that is in slightly different
format. "strings" there finds this :

RtosTxImage
Uncompressing Linux...
Ok, booting the kernel.

Any ideas ?

As this is partly off topic for lkml, I suggest replying to the gpl
violations mail list.

Here is what I asked Canyon and got the above answer :

Is any software distributed with the CN-WF514 router,
that is licensed under the GNU General Public License ?

Hm, maybe they thought I'm talking about the acompanying
CD media ...

Regards,
David Balazic

[1] http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipermail/tech/2005-December/000052.html