Re: [git patches] 2.6.x libata updates

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 13:34:28 EST

On 1/3/06, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:

> >>pata_oldpiix and pata_mpiix are not in the mainline
> >

> > They are probably ready for mainline and since Linux currently has no
> > support for either it might be nice to get them in. Anything specific
> > they need polishing for Jeff ?
>
> Not really. If there's no support in mainline, I'm ok with pushing them
> upstream... provided that they have been tested and verified to work on
> at least one machine? :)

All chipsets are supported by piix.c driver but:

* we depend on BIOS to program correct PIO timings and set drives
(mpiix chipset)

* PIO tuning code is buggy and needs fixing (oldpiix chipsets)

I don't think that this alone justify adding new drivers instead of fixing
old one as both issues can be fixed quite easily by almost cut'n'pasting
new tuning code from Alan's drivers and adding it to piix.c.

Bartlomiej