Re: Arjan's noinline Patch

From: Kurt Wall
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 16:31:48 EST

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 12:04:04PM +0100, Ingo Molnar took 0 lines to write:

> * Kurt Wall <kwallnator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > After applying Arjan's noline patch (http://www.fenrus.org/noinlin), I
> > see almost a 10% reduction in the size of .text (against 2.6.15-rc6)
> > with no apparent errors and no reduction in functionality:
>
> just to make sure: this was with -Os _also_ turned on, right? So what
> you measured was the effect of Arjan's patch plus -Os, combined,
> correct?

Yes. And it was a faulty approach. I've posted new results with the
effects of Arjan's patch. CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE was enabled for
all kernels.

> if yes you should measure the two effects in isolation, like the vmlinux
> numbers i posted. Every patch applied and every change to .config
> options must be measured separately, to get valid results. This doesnt
> invalidate your raw vmlinux measurements - you simply need to add a
> "Arjan's patch applied but no -Os turned on" number - but it does
> invalidate your conclusion quoted above.

Quite so. I'm working on the "no -Os" case now.

Kurt
--
Alden's Laws:
(1) Giving away baby clothes and furniture is the major cause