Re: MPlayer broken under 2.6.15-rc7-rt1?

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 09:31:22 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

What you have here is a bit of a gray area; you're using one of the
maybe-illegal binary modules that has a really long history of
introducing bugs that, just from the oops, may appear unrelated to this
module, and you can't reproduce it without. Just not because the bug
won't happen, but because you state that the application that triggers
it won't run without it.

Wrong. The "nv" driver supports xvideo, and does this better than the official "nvidia" driver. When I had a GeForce 2 MX 200 (now this card is dead), my computer was was fast enough to play DVDs with deinterlacing with the "nv" driver, but not with "nvidia". Probably due to improper MTRR setup done by the "nvidia" driver.

So the original reporter was actually just lazy or misinformed about the capabilities of the "nv" driver.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
Don't mail to patrakov@xxxxxxxxxx: the server is off until 2006-01-11