Re: Howto set kernel makefile to use particular gcc

From: Marc Giger
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 06:29:14 EST

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 19:03:15 +0900
Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris White wrote:
> > On Friday 30 December 2005 16:04, Mukund JB. wrote:
> >
> >>Dear Alessandro,
> >>
> >>Thanks for the reply.
> >>What does that the make CC=<path_to_your_gcc_3.3> do?
> >>Will it set my gcc default build configuration to gcc 3.3?
> >

> > Not Alessandro but,
> >
> > CC sets the CC makefile variable. When the kernel build system goes
> > to compile something, it doesn't call on gcc directly, but rather
> > what the variable CC is set to. By setting it to your gcc 3.3
> > compiler, it will use that instead.
> >

> >>I mean the general procedure is make bzImage; make modules....
> >>How do I do these:
> >>
> >>Will I have to do it like:
> >> make bzImage cc=<gcc path>
> >

> > make CC=<gcc path> bzImage
> >
> > note the case sensitivity, which tends to be somewhat of a pain for
> > new *nix users.
>
> As I just stumbeled into a similar problem, I am going to ask here.
>
> I know the "trick" of `make -j8 CC=distcc` and I always use it. But is
> there a way to hardwire "CC=distcc" insie the Makefile? Just setting
> it there does not help it seems.

Why would you "hardwire" it?
#export CC="distcc"
should do it.

It seems you forgot to specify the compiler:
#export CC="distcc <arch-blablabla->gcc" should be the correct way. What
I do is:

#export DISTCC_HOSTS="localhost <machine1 machine2 machineN>"
#make CC="distcc ccache gcc" -j5 bzImage modules

Marc