Re: MPlayer broken under 2.6.15-rc7-rt1?

From: Bradley Reed
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 04:52:47 EST

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 10:14:21 +0100
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 20:29 +0200, Bradley Reed wrote:
> > I have tried MPlayer versions 1.0pre6, 1.0pre7, and cvs from today
> > and they all work fine under 2.6.14 and 2.6.14-rt21/22.
> >
> > I booted into 2.6.15-rc7-rt1 and the same MPlayer binaries segfault
> > on every video I try and play. Yes, I have nvidia modules loaded,
> > so won't get much help, but thought someone might like to know.
>

> you know, you could have done a little bit more effort and reproduced
> this without the binary crud... it's not that hard you know and it
> shows that you actually care about the problem enough that you want
> to make it worthwhile for people to look into it.

And you could have saved the time and effort of replying, as you had
nothing useful to say. Why do you expect kernel users (non-developers)
to jump through hoops and cripple their systems in order to provide bug
reports? Exactly how could I have tested MPLayer realistically without
Xv support? It isn't that easy to swap video cards in a laptop.

I noticed that after trying a new kernel a user space tool, which
worked fine under earlier kernels, was no longer working. Linus himself
said that this is worth pointing out. I did so.

Yes, I was very fortunate in that someone else with a non-tainted
kernel noticed a similar bug with /dev/rtc, and even more fortunate
that Steven Rostedt provided a patch that worked for both of us. As I
had said in my original post I was not expecting that, but thought the
bug was worth reporting.

DO YOU REALLY PREFER USERS NOT REPORT BUGS?

Brad