cpufreq: powernow-k8 frequency transitions question

From: Gunter Ohrner
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 22:59:04 EST

Hi!

I'm currently reading and playing with the powernow-k8 cpufreq driver
module. However so far I wasn't able to find out how frequency transitions
are dealt with that have to be made using intermediate steps, ie.
transitions which cannot be done in one single step.

(I read about this at
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF
p. 269f.)

I found safety guards which return an error if an invalid frequency
transition ("lo-lo transition") is requested. Is this the only support for
these transitions currently implemented or did I miss something?
Is there more advanced support simply missing, or is the current behaviour
sufficient, and if yes, why does this suffice?

How do the conservative/ondemand cpufreq governors cope with the kernel
advertising frequencies it cannot directly transition between?

I'd be really cool if someone could enlighten me, just some pointers at
powernow-k8.c functions I should take a closer look at might already
help. :-)

Greetings,

Gunter

--
Due to hw failure, I'm thinking buying a new laptop. I would like to
know what is the worst laptop with ACPI atm? -- Linux ACPI