Re: [patch 00/2] improve .text size on gcc 4.0 and newer compilers

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 09:38:06 EST

> another thing: i wanted to decrease the size of -Os
> (CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE) kernels, which e.g. Fedora uses too (to
> keep the icache footprint down).
>
> I think gcc should arguably not be forced to inline things when doing
> -Os, and it's also expected to mess up much less than when optimizing
> for speed. So maybe forced inlining should be dependent on
> !CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE?

I don't care too much whether we put always_inline or inline at the function
we _really_ want to inline. But all others shouldn't have any inline marker.
So instead of changing the pretty useful redefinitions we have to keep the
code a little more readable what about getting rid of all the stupid inlines
we have over the place? I think many things we have static inline in headers
now should move to proper out of line functions. This is more work, but also
more useful than just flipping a bit.