Re: [RFT] Sonypi: convert to the new platform device interface

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 17:20:33 EST

On 12/27/05, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> It does not work here on a SONY VAIO U3. After loading the sonypi module,
> >> neither mev nor showkey return something for the special stuff like
> >> jogwheel, jogbutton or Fn keys respectively.
> >>
> >> Running 2.6.15-rc7, this appeared in the kernel log:
> >> Dec 25 22:06:14 takeshi kernel: sonypi: request_irq failed
> >
> >Just in case I am sending corrected patch.
> >
> Ok now it works. (Just like with the old sonypi :-)

The issues enumerated below are existed before my patch, did I
understand this correctly?

> However, there are some things that remain unresolved:
> - the "mousewheel" reports only once every 2 seconds when constantly
> wheeling (in mev)
> - pressing the jogdial button produces a keyboard event (keycode 158)
> rather than a mousebutton 3 event

158 is KEY_BACK and is generated on type2 models.. If you load the
driver with verbose=1 what does it say when you press jog dial?

> BTW, how can I use the Fn keys on console (keycodes 466-477) for arbitrary
> shell commands?
> Such a feature, among which special combinations like Ctrl+Alt+Del also
> belong, are handled by the kernel which leaves almost no room for
> user-defined userspace action. Any idea?

There are daemons that read corersponding /dev/input/eventX and act on
it. The in-kernel keyboard driver ignores keycodes above 255.

--
Dmitry