Re: Possible Bootloader Optimization in inflate (get rid of unnecessary32k Window)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Dec 26 2005 - 10:59:52 EST

Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

What would the optimization be worth?
* A faster uncompressing of the kernel, since a total 1-time memcopy of the
whole kernel is been optimized away.
* I'm not sure about the size, the memory or disk footprint. If the 32k static
(!) memory array in compressed/misc.c, I don't know if it safes 32k running
memory, or 32k on-disk size. Since I don't know the indepth working of these

Neither for saving running memory (discarded), nor on-disk size
(window[WSIZE] resides in BSS).

I've actually implemented this for another application (where BSS was at a premium.) It even has some nice benefits for code size if you do it right.

It indeed would avoid a cache-to-memory copy, but that's not really a huge deal, which is why noone has worried too much about it.

-hpa