RE: More info for DSM w/r/t sunffb on 2.6.15-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 03:30:47 EST

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Michael Bishop wrote:

> Linus - I did not try out the memory.c patch, as the subsequent patch
> from David looked like the simpler solution.

Yes, absolutely.

> Hopefully no other 'insane users' such as myself run into the same
> problem; I suspect that there would have been a chorus of complaints by
> now if it was evident in more prominent places. :-)

Note that by "insane users" I didn't mean the end-user sitting in front of
the machine, but the actual _program_ (ie X) that does uses the kernel in
insane ways.

So no need to check in at the asylym.

And yes, as X seems to have a sane fallback, we can definitely avoid my
"allow insanity" patch. Much better to return an error for insane uses
than to try to support them when there's no need.

Thanks for testing,

Linus