Possible Bootloader Optimization in inflate (get rid of unnecessary 32k Window)

From: Axel Kittenberger
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 07:51:45 EST

Hello, Whom do I talk to about acceptance of Patches in the Bootloader?

I have seen, and coded once some time ago for priv. uses, do infalte the
gziped linux kernel at boottime in "arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.c" and "
windowlib/inflate.c" the deflation algorthimn uses a 32k backtrack window.
Whenever it is full, it copies it .... into the memory.

While this window makes a lot of sense in an userspace application like
gunzip, it does not make a lot sense in the bootloader. As userspace
application the window is flushed to a file when full. The bootloader
"flushes" it to memory (copies it in memory). That 1 time copy of the whole
kernel can be optimized away, since we do not keep track of a window since
the inflater can read what it has written right in the computer memory, while
it unpacks the kernel.

What would the optimization be worth?
* A faster uncompressing of the kernel, since a total 1-time memcopy of the
whole kernel is been optimized away.
* I'm not sure about the size, the memory or disk footprint. If the 32k static
(!) memory array in compressed/misc.c, I don't know if it safes 32k running
memory, or 32k on-disk size. Since I don't know the indepth working of these.

Before I code this again (I know that this optimization has worked with a 2.4
kernel), I want to ask, would such patch be accepted? now or once ever? who
should I forward this?

Greetings,
Axel