Re: [patch 00/15] Generic Mutex Subsystem

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 14:55:48 EST

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:

> The only thing I can see as an improvement that a mutex can offer over
> the current semaphore implementation is if we can perform the same
> optimization that spinlocks perform in the unlock operation: don't use
> a locked, serialising instruction in the up() codepath. That might be
> a bit tricky to implement, but it's definately a win on the P4 where the
> cost of serialisation can be quite high.

Good point. However, it really _is_ hard, because we also need to know if
the mutex was under contention. A spinlock doesn't care, so we can just
overwrite the lock value. A mutex would always care, in order to know
whether it needs to do the slow wakeup path.

So I suspect you can't avoid serializing the unlock path for a mutex. The
issue of "was there contention while I held it" fundamentally _is_ a
serializing question.

> > [ Oh. I'm looking at the semaphore code, and I realize that we have a
> > "wake_up(&sem->wait)" in the __down() path because we had some race long
> > ago that we fixed by band-aiding over it. Which means that we wake up
> > sleepers that shouldn't be woken up. THAT may well be part of the
> > performance problem.. The semaphores are really meant to wake up just
> > one at a time, but because of that race hack they'll wake up _two_ at a
> > time - once by up(), once by down().
> >
> > That also destroys the fairness. Does anybody remember why it's that
> > way? ]
>
> History?

Oh, absolutely, I already checked the old BK history too, and that extra
wake_up() has been there at least since before we even started using BK.
So it's very much historical, I'm just wondering if somebody remembers far
enough back that we'd know.

I don't see why it's needed (since we re-try the "atomic_add_negative()"
inside the semaphore wait lock, and any up() that saw contention should
have always been guaranteed to do a wakeup that should fill the race in
between that atomic_add_negative() and the thing going to sleep).

It may be that it is _purely_ historical, and simply isn't needed. That
would be funny/sad, in the sense that we've had it there for years and
years ;)

Linus