Re: swsusp: documentation fixes

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 12:48:24 EST

Hi!

> > +Q: How can RH ship a swsusp-supporting kernel with modular SATA
> > +drivers?
> >
> > +A: Well, it can be done, load the drivers, then do echo into resume
> > +file from initrd. Be sure not to mount anything, not even read-only
> > +mount, or you are going to loose your filesystem same way Dave Jones
> > +did.
>
> I don't need the fame here thanks.
> I've hit a thousand other ways to corrupt my rootfs, I don't think
> it's worth documenting them. It's arguable this whole item is needed
> to be documented, but if you feel compelled to write Red Hat specific
> documentation in the swsusp docs, feel free to note that
> 'make modules_install ; make install' just does the right thing,
> including building an initrd for you with all the right pieces.

Sorry... This entry was originally real question from akpm, and I did
reply for him. I should have rewritten in when I decided to put it
into FAQ.

This should be better:

Q: How can distributions ship a swsusp-supporting kernel with modular
disk drivers (especially SATA)?

A: Well, it can be done, load the drivers, then do echo into
/sys/power/disk/resume file from initrd. Be sure not to mount
anything, not even read-only mount, or you are going to loose your
data.
Pavel

--
Thanks, Sharp!