Re: pte_alloc_kernel parameters

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 16:04:55 EST

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why pte_alloc_kernel() has to have
> 'struct mm_struct*' as its first parameter? Except for a case in parisc
> (where NULL gets passed) and another (ill-looking one) in arm26 it is
> always &init_mm, and since the function is not inline the compiler can't
> eliminate the needless passing of the argument.

You're looking at old source: it's gone in 2.6.15-rc. There was a point
to it before 2.6.13 - arch/ppc64 used it on its ioremap_mm too, but has
since amalgamated that into init_mm. I removed the arg in 2.6.15-rc,
not really as an optimization, more to force a build error on mismatch
when making a change to the locking there.

Hugh