Re: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC][patch 00/21] PID Virtualization: Overview and Patches

From: Gerrit Huizenga
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 15:45:19 EST

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:35:19 PST, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:28 -0800, Gerrit Huizenga wrote:
> > In the pid virtualization, I would think that tasks can move between
> > containers as well,
>
> I don't think tasks can not be permitted to move between containers. As
> a simple exercise, imagine that you have two processes with the same
> pid, one in container A and one in container B. You wish to have them
> both run in container A. They can't both have the same pid. What do
> you do?
>
> I've been talking a lot lately about how important filesystem isolation
> between containers is to implement containers properly. Isolating the
> filesystem namespaces makes it much easier to do things like fs-based
> shared memory during a checkpoint/resume. If we want to allow tasks to
> move around, we'll have to throw out this entire concept. That means
> that a _lot_ of things get a notch closer to the too-costly-to-implement
> category.

Interesting... So how to tasks get *into* a container? And can they
ever get back "out" of a container? Are most processes on the system
initially not in a container? And then they can be stuffed in a container?
And then containers can be moved around or be isolated from each other?

And, is pid virtualization the point where this happens? Or is that
a slightly higher level? In other words, is pid virtualization the
full implementation of container isolation? Or is it a significant
element on which additional policy, restrictions, and usage models
can be built?

gerrit