Megaraid problems

From: Vladimir Dergachev
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 23:34:18 EST

Hi all :)

I am wondering whether someone can shed some light on issues I am having with LSI Megaraid cards ? The problem described below is with
SATA card, but I am also having difficulties with LSI HBA Scsi adaptor, ableit I have not yet eliminated all the obvious things to try.

Please CC your replies as I am not on the list..

My setup: dual Opteron 252 with 8 GB RAM, Tyan Thunder K8W. SUSE 9.3 -
I tried both the native SUSE kernel and 2.6.14.3 from kernel.org, 4 400GB Western Digital drivers in RAID5 configuration connected to LSI MegaRAID SATA 150-6

The are also 3 250 GB drives connected to on-board SIL3114 where Linux is installed.

Problem: card recognizes the disks fine, initialization goes ok.
I can create partition with no problem. However when copying files I get
filesystem corruption (holds both with ext3 and XFS). For ext3 I see the following message:

EXT3-fs error (device sdd1): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system zone - block = 100663296
Aborting journal on device sdd1.
EXT3-fs error (device sdd1) in ext3_prepare_write: Journal has aborted
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error (device sdd1): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
Remounting filesystem read-only

The hardware is otherwise stable - this box also has 3 disks in software RAID5 connected to SIL3114 and a similar box has 3ware card with 8 drives, which function fine.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try/tweak/patch.

thank you very much !

Vladimir Dergachev

PS One more thing - none of LSI binary configuration tools work - they report they cannot find the adaptor even though /dev/megadev0 is pointing to correct adaptor (I tried both 253 and 254 for major numbers and 0,1,2,3,4 for minor numbers). I was not successful in finding an open-source management tool..