Re: [NET] Remove ARM dependency for dm9000 driver

From: Russell King
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 11:55:22 EST

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 05:45:33PM +0100, Franck wrote:
> 2005/11/30, Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 05:21:35PM +0100, Franck wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > What about this patch which removes ARM dependency for dm9000 ethernet
> > > controller driver ?
> > >
> > Maybe that should be (ARM || MIPS) && NET_ETHERNET ?
> >

> Well, if this dependency means "it has only be tested on ARM and
> MIPS", then you're probably right. But if it means "this controller
> must be run with an ARM or MIPS cpu" then I don't see why setting such
> restriction. What do you think ?

If other CPUs use this then fine, but I find that having config options
needlessly available to all architectures is annoying - especially when
they are never used.

Eg, would you ever expect to see a DM9000 ethernet device on an x86
machine? Probably not - there's far better PCI solutions now.

So until someone says "I want to use this on such and such arch" I
think it's better to keep it dependent on those we know are likely
to support it.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core