WD 2nd generation SATA not detected on Intel 945PSNLK

From: Ross Boylan
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 04:13:13 EST

I have an excessively new system for which 2.6.12 kernel in the Debian
etch beta 1 installer doesn't detect the hard drive.
Intel D945PSNLK Motherboard
WD25000JS-OOM, which Western Digital's site says is a 2nd generation
SATA.
Pentium 4 630 processor.

Intel provides drivers for this motherboard, but they only seem to
concern the on-board audio and LAN. I'm not sure if the problem is
the m/b or the disk, or the combination. Win2K managed to see the
drive, so the hardware is OK.

dmesg shows IHC7:
ICH7: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1
ICH7: chipset revision 1
ICH7: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0x30b0-0x30b7, BIOST settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
Unfortunately, the thing at IDE0 is the DVD.

manually loading the ahci driver doesn't work. An earlier thread with
a somewhat similar problem advised doing this to see what the messages
were, but nothing useful showed up (modprove -v ahci).

The installer doesn't seem to have lspci.

I've tried ATA/IDE mode as enhanced and legacy in the BIOS; neither
works.

Any suggestions?

I would appreciate if you cc'd me.
Thanks.