Re: NFS cache consistancy appears to be broken...

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 21:37:48 EST

Steve Dickson wrote:
Hey Trond,

The attached patch seems to break cache consistence in a big way....
Doing the following:
1. On server:
$ mkdir ~/t
$ echo Hello > ~/t/tmp

2. On client, wait for a string to appear in this file:
$ until grep -q foo t/tmp ; do echo -n . ; sleep 1 ; done

3. On server, create a *new* file with the same name containing that string:
$ mv ~/t/tmp ~/t/tmp.old; echo foo > ~/t/tmp

will shows how the client will never (and I mean never ;-) ) see
the updated file. I reverted this patch and everything started
work as expected... so it appears using a jiffy-based cache
verifiers may not be such a good idea....

Note: I am using 2.6.15-rc2 kernel.

Very interesting. This sounds similar to the problem I reported a week or so ago. The circumstances were too unique to easily reproduce.

Jeff